Addu Women's Association is a non-profit organization with a profound commitment to educate, create awareness, and facilitate developmental opportunities in economic, political, and social spheres. Our activities are tailored to empower and promote sustainable development among women and youth, with a special focus on Addu City.
Addu Women’s Association (AWA) was initiated as an informal Facebook Group by Juwariya Wajdy who is a well-known entrepreneur skilled in culinary, and arts and craft skills. Her aim then was to empower Addu women in arts and craft skills and generate economic independency. However, on 7th September 2015, AWA was formalised and officially registered by Dr Shakeela and Juwariya Wajdy, with the aim of empowering not only women of Addu City, but women and youth from all over Maldives. Since then AWA has been accelerating its efforts with new energy and new vision, to address the need of, and to empower women and youth of not only Addu City, but the outer islands of Maldives in all spheres of their life and facilitate opportunities for their growth.
As founder members; Dr Shakeela and Juwariya Wajdy continues to play a vital role in decision making offering necessary support and assistance to the Executive Members for the smooth functioning of AWA to achieve its objectives.
Join Us Today!
To create strong pool of politically, socially and economically affluent, confident and empowered women and youth in various communities within Maldives, especially that of Addu City.
To facilitate various opportunities for training and development, and create a conducive platform for women and youth, especially that of Addu city, so that they may grow to their full potential, politically, socially and economically and eventually participate with confidence and competence within society and contribute towards national development
- Conducting targeted awareness programs
- Offering confidence-building and self-development programs
- Teaching basic English literacy
- Providing computer literacy training
- Developing income-generating skills
- Training home-based workers in basic business skills
- Fostering awareness in various fields
- Facilitating skill-building programs
- Training women in marketing skills
- Organizing workshops, exhibitions, and fairs
- Seeking opportunities for participation in overseas events
- Offering programs to develop business and creativity skills
- Celebrating the success of Addu women through annual awards
- Conducting awareness and training programs for youth